Wednesday, May 30, 2007

What Crime Have I Committed?

I don't understand, honest I didn't do anything wrong, please help me get out of here. My first memories were of a place like this. It was about four years ago. My brothers and sisters were with me and we were all scared. And one day some people came, and they pointed at me, and said, “we'll take that one.” At first I was scared without my brothers and sisters. But we would go on long walks, snuggle in front of the TV, and go on adventures in the car together. I learned to be a very good dog, I never potty in the house, I walk nicely on a leash, I’m about 25 pounds, I'm very active, I loved being spoiled, and I really loved my people. I'm what lots of you call a good companion dog. I don't really like to have my face or feet touched, it's kind of scary, but everywhere else is good. Human children can be a little scary, especially the real little ones, so I'd rather live with just grown-up humans, if you don't mind, please.

Once upon a time my people left me in the backyard, and this guy came around, and we sort of started messing around, and … well … the long and short of it is, I had some puppies. They grew up and most moved on to other homes, but one of my sons stayed with me, his name is Shallow.

One day my people came home with some boxes, and began putting their things in them. They were talking about a new place to live. They were very excited, so we got excited to. It sounded like it would be a fun place. And soon a big truck came, and all the boxes were put in there, and the truck drove away. My people called, and we ran to the front door, got our leashes on, and trotted, all excited, out to the car.

We arrived at a place called Orange County Animal Shelter. It seemed like a really exciting new home. There were lots of nice friendly people. And lots of other dogs. I thought our family would have a lot of fun here, until I heard our people say, “we're moving, and just can't take these dogs with us, they're very nice, were going to miss them, but our new life just won't give us time for them. Bye Cookie, bye Shallow, hope you all have a good life!” And they were gone. GONE. Just like that gone, walked out of my life forever. I was stunned.

I would never walk out on somebody I loved. And they told me over and over they loved me. So what was up? What did we do to deserve this? I don't think I'd ever done anything bad or wrong. And soon I found myself living in this little cell. The people here are very nice to me. And when someone came and adopted Shallow, but left me behind, where I knew I would never see my son again, the nice people here held me and hugged me and told me it would be okay someday somebody would want me again too.

And I'm still here, waiting for that someday and waiting for that somebody. Is it you? Can you love me? I think I could love you. Will you please, try, try to just love me, and let me have a home?

My name is Cookie, and I am a 4 year old Shiba Inu, I've already been spayed, vaccinated, tested and wormed. Now I just need somebody to fix my broken heart. Call Beth, 540-672-1124, at the Orange County Animal Shelter, and come visit me today, please.

Rikki’s Refuge, www.RikkisRefuge.org, 540-854-0870 Next Open house Sunday, June 10, 2007 noon – 4 pm

No comments: