Monday, June 04, 2012

RAFFLE - Spectacular Autograph Quilt



You can WIN this
Spectacular Autograph Quilt
for only ONE DOLLAR  !!!
CLICK ANY PHOTO TO GET YOUR TICKET(S)  or click here http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/Rikkis/food
or by check payable to Rikki’s Refuge and mailed to Signature Quilt, Rikki’s Refuge, PO Box 1357, Orange VA 22960
$1 per ticket.  Increase your luck 100% and buy 100 tickets!!!! 
All donations to the quilt fund will be used to buy food for the animals of Rikki’s Refuge!

Be sure to include your contact information so we can tell you when YOU win!  If buying tickets on line at http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/Rikkis/food leave your contact the information as a comment.  If by mail, include a note!  Name, Address, E-mail address. 

If you would like a ticket stub mailed to you, please add 45-cents for U.S. address, or $1.05 for other country addresses.  We’ll be keeping track of your tickets and contact info on our computer, and contacting the winner, so it’s not necessary to have a ticket stub.  But we will mail you one if you like and if you provide the extra postage.

Please note that your contact information will not be made public.

Contact Melissa at: autographquilt@gmail.com for more information AND if you’d like to help us sell raffle tickets !!!!!

The drawing for the quilt will be held on Labor Day, September 3, 2012, at Rikki's Refuge.  The winner does not need to be present to win.  Shipping anywhere in the world provided, as long as our post office will send it there!

Look for the quilt around town in Orange, Va., and Fredericksburg, Va.  We will be at businesses and stores selling tickets all summer long!
It's finally finished!
The Autograph Quilt for Rikki's Refuge!

Made by Melissa Felts of Fredericksburg, Virginia, and quilted by Jo Ann Cooper of South Carolina, this spectacular quilt measures 73 1/2" wide and 76" long.  Made from 100% cotton fabrics, and 100% wool quilt batting.  It features the autographs of 20 well-known animal lovers:






Angelica Houston












Cloris Leachman









 Raymond Usher











Betty White





Raquel Welch












 Ryan Newman













Martin Sheen






Dolly Parton











Johnny Depp








Maya Angelou










Matt Damon











 Tim Allen










Sally Struthers











 Victoria Stilwell











Kiefer Sutherland











Bill Cosby












Whoopi Goldberg











Bob Barker








Jack Hanna










Elizabeth Taylor
she signed this
just 2 months
before she died









How the quilt was made:

This quilt took 1 1/2 years to make!  I started by mailing letters and fabric to 118 celebrities.  I sat by my mailbox for days.  A few trickled back. Many "return to sender--no longer at this address" labels arrived.  Months would go by, and 1 or 2 would come back to me.

In the meantime, I scanned various quilting websites and magazines, looking for a pattern that would be right for the job. I finally decided on Judy Neimeyer's "Cattails in the Meadow".

Then, in August of 2011, 1 month before my annual quilting vacation in the Outer Banks of North Carolina, I went to my friend Carol's house to choose the fabrics for the quilt (yes, her sewing room is like a quilt shop! She used to own a quilt shop, and still has many of the fabrics from it).

We chose a selection of batiks in earth tones. This was going to be a beautiful quilt!

My week in the Outer Banks was fun -- my 12 friends and I literally spend the week quilting.   It took nearly 2 days just to cut the fabrics for this quilt.  By the time the week ended, I had 3/4 of the center section completed.  Once home, I continued to work on the quilt, still waiting for more autographed blocks to arrive.


Some of the autographs were easy to read. Others arrived, and I'd say "who the heck is this?"  Then, I'd have to search the internet, trying to figure out who's signature it was.  Tim Allen and Johnny Depp were the hardest. Luckily I had my list of who I had mailed blocks to, and that helped with the investigations.

Some of the stars included autographed photos, which we sold in an online auction back in November.  Maya Angelou even included a book of her poems!

As luck would have it, Sally Struthers was in Fredericksburg for a few months performing the lead in Hello Dolly! at our local dinner theater.  I mailed her a fabric block, and she sent it back right away!

Then, there was a GreyHounds Rock! event in town, and Victoria Stilwell was one of the guest speakers.  She was more than happy to sign a block for me!

Cyndi Lauper signed a block, but she signed on the bright blue painter's tape that I had put on the back of the fabric so that it would not slip and slide while being signed.  I could not add it to the quilt -- it will have to be framed, I guess. 

And Greg Biffle signed a block, but it was returned to me just a few weeks ago, after I had mailed the quilt top to Jo Ann in South Carolina to be quilted.  I never heard anything from 79 others....maybe they will eventually be returned to me signed, and I can make another quilt.  Greg Biffle's will be the first autograph in it.

Finally, I had 20 autographs, and I could finish the quilt top.  2 of my 3 cats love to help me when I am at my sewing machine, and it was difficult keeping them off of this quilt.



I sewed, and sewed, and sewed.  When I was finished with the machine, it was time to hand sew the appliqued pieces.  This, too, is no easy feat as my dogs like to lay on me on the sofa, and the cats want to be in my lap.  I took the quilt to several of my "Girls Night" outings, just to try to keep it as clean and fur-free as possible while I sewed!  Once the hand applique was done, it was time to go back to the sewing machine and add the border with the autographs.  Much measuring and calculating was necessary to get it right, but I finally got it.  Then, I boxed it and mailed it to Jo Ann.

Jo Ann is one of the best quilters around!  Many people are investing in Long Arm Quilting machines to do the work (but they are BIG, and take up a car's space in a garage, or huge sections of the basement. Most are about 9 feet wide and 2 or 3 feet deep, but you need lots of empty, clean space around them in order to keep the quilt clean). But Jo Ann uses her regular sewing machine, and maneuvers the fabric ever so precisely around the needle.  It is much more difficult, and takes much more time, but she is an expert and loves to do it!  And, she does not have a big long-arm taking up space that she can use as storage for more fabrics! (Most quilters are Fabricaholics, so storage space for fabric is so important! lol)

She had so much fun quilting the quilt (and showing it to her friends) that she was slow to send it back to me.  "Would you like me to bind it for you, too?" she asked.  "Sure!" was my response. And then, to push my luck "how about adding a casing on the back so that we can hang it to display it?"  And she graciously agreed.  Finally, I received an e-mail from her that the quilt was on it's way back to me.  "It's become like Bilbo's ring: I was getting fond of it and had to get it out of here!" she said.


When I opened the box, all I could say was "oh my Gosh!"  The quilt was stunning!  Not only did Jo Ann add the binding and a casing, but she added a pumpkin-colored piping just inside the binding, which really helps to frame the quilt.  It's absolutely gorgeous!

I've made many quilts, but nothing as beautiful as this one.  I hope that you all enjoy it, too. So purchase your raffle tickets, and let's make this one of the best fund raisers that Rikki's Refuge has ever had!

The drawing will be held on 
Monday, September 3, 2012 
Labor Day

CLICK FOR YOUR TICKET - ONLY $1
or send check payable to Rikki’s Refuge and mailed to Signature Quilt, Rikki’s Refuge, PO Box 1357, Orange VA 22960
$1 per ticket.  Increase your luck 100% and buy 100 tickets!!!! 
All donations to the quilt fund will be used to buy food for the animals of Rikki’s Refuge!

Be sure to include your contact information so we can tell you when YOU win!  If buying tickets on line at http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/Rikkis/food leave your contact the information as a comment.  If by mail, include a note!  Name, Address, E-mail address. 

If you would like a ticket stub mailed to you, please add 45-cents for U.S. address, or $1.05 for other country addresses.  We’ll be keeping track of your tickets and contact info on our computer, and contacting the winner, so it’s not necessary to have a ticket stub.  But we will mail you one if you like and if you provide the extra postage.

Please note that your contact information will not be made public.

Contact Melissa at: autographquilt@gmail.com for more information AND if you’d like to help us sell raffle tickets !!!!!

The drawing for the quilt will be held on Labor Day, September 3, 2012, at Rikki's Refuge.  The winner does not need to be present to win.  Shipping anywhere in the world provided, as long as our post office will send it there!

Look for the quilt around town in Orange, Va., and Fredericksburg, Va.  We will be at businesses and stores selling tickets all summer long!


Thanks, and good luck!

Melissa

No comments: